Roman Remains in Burton Bradstock
Our searches to-date have found a number of items/references
to Roman or Romano-British finds in and around the village:
Photo courtesy of Bridport Museum
These two pots were found during excavations when building
flats on the South Side of the Bridport Road, west of the Anchor Inn,
Burton Bradstock. They can be seen in Bridport Museum.
Dorset Proceedings Vol. 87 Page
114 describe the pots in some detail.
Also described in these same proceedings, are details
of two Roman skeletons found at the same spot.
Dorset Proceedings Vol. 81 Page
106 describes Romano-British finds at the mouth of the river Bride,
Dorset Proceedings Vol. 90
Page 167 mentions a Romano-British site at Sturthill, Burton Bradstock.
Roman head on gatepost in the Three Horseshoes yard in the 1930's. Unfortunately,
it is no longer there. Believed to have been of marble.
(Copies of the Dorset Proceedings extracts
were kindly provided by Dorset County Museum)
See also Bill
Putnam's report on 'Prehistoric Burton Bradstock'
For Modbury archeaology digs see www.geocities.com/swyre1
Back to index